An invaluable, comprehensive guide that explains everything you and your family need to know about living well with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.
A loved one’s dementia diagnosis can leave you feeling scared and overwhelmed. Now a renowned geriatrician who has helped thousands of families live happy, engaged lives—after a dementia diagnosis—shares her expertise in this easy-to-follow guide.
Filled with must-have information, practical advice, and unique and comforting insights, here is everything you need to know about caring for your loved one and making his or her life the best possible—starting now, even as the disease progresses. Inside, you’ll find:
· How to create a plan of action for today—and tomorrow—that will help all involved cope with this new normal
· How to keep your vulnerable loved one safe and secure—both physically and financially
· Lifestyle changes, innovative new activities, and holistic interventions that can slow the progression of dementia
· Comprehensive information on both prescription and OTC medications that can help or hurt dementia patients
· Dealing with day-to-day challenges, from staying mobile to overcoming agitation and aggression without resorting to sedation
· How and where to get help, including online support groups, home health care agencies, care managers, neuropsychologists, communities and day programs for people with dementia, and government agencies
· Tips on keeping your loved one at home versus placement in a long-term care facility
In addition to all the essential advice, Dr. Landsverk demystifies the ins and outs of dementia, explaining what it is and what it’s not, and making sure you and your loved one will be ready to address whatever develops and maintain quality of life. Uniquely, Living in the Moment will transform how you think about dementia, providing comfort and support for the best life possible—at any stage.